When you’re a property manager, it’s essential to take care of your tenants’ needs. Great property management means happy, long-term renters. It also means fewer repair-related costs later down the road.
Unfortunately, disasters can happen when you least expect them. According to Consumer Reports, about 50% of Americans have a garbage disposal, and it isn’t uncommon for tenants to pour things down the drain that they shouldn’t. Cooking oils and bacon grease, improper cleaning products, and forgotten silverware can all damage garbage disposals, resulting in leaks or inefficient power.
The good news is that, when property managers need a garbage disposal repair in Pasadena, they know they can turn to Western Rooter and Plumbing. Our service technicians have over 35 years of experience providing quality plumbing services and garbage disposal repairs to the Pasadena community.
But how exactly can we help when a tenant’s garbage disposal is on the fritz? Here’s how we diagnose the problem with a broken or malfunctioning garbage disposal and restore these machines to their former glory.
Signs You Need a Garbage Disposal Repair
It isn’t always easy to determine when a garbage disposal is in need of repair. At Western Rooter and Plumbing, we use our years of experience to determine whether a garbage disposal is failing and whether or not the machine may need to be repaired or replaced. Some of the most common signs a garbage disposal needs a professional repair include:
- Ineffective performance: When your tenant runs their garbage disposal, they expect the machine to properly shred and break down food. However, when a garbage disposal isn’t disposing of food particles properly or it’s taking an excessive amount of time for your tenant’s garbage disposal to do its job, it’s important to contact our team at Western Rooter and Plumbing to come take a look.
- Bad, persistent odors: It isn’t unusual for a garbage disposal to smell when it’s been recently used. After all, it’s shredding food particles and those particles will break down over time. However, if the smell of your tenant’s garbage disposal doesn’t go away even after using tried and true freshening methods such as lemons, it could be a sign that there’s a bigger problem at hand such as a clog in the sewer line. Sewer line clogs can cause bacterial build-up in the pipes, which leave a persistent and foul odor.
- Water leaks: Unfortunately, some tenants will attempt to clear a clog in their garbage disposal themselves by using chemical cleaners. This can be a major problem for several reasons. First, these cleaners can make their way back into the water supply where they can wreak havoc on the environment. Second, chemical cleaners can corrode your property’s plumbing system, causing leaks and even burst pipes.
- Resetting frequently: Just like with occasional odors, it isn’t unusual for your tenant’s garbage disposal to occasionally need to be reset. Typically, the reset button is used when a garbage disposal has just had a large clog removed or has just broken down a significant amount of food particles. However, your tenant shouldn’t have to frequently reset their garbage disposal to get the machine to work.
- Shutting off: Similar to resetting, your tenant’s garbage disposal shouldn’t turn off on its own when it’s being used. It also shouldn’t refuse to turn on. In some cases, the problem may be an electrical one and the circuit connected to the garbage disposal may have blown. However, if the circuit is working properly and the power in the unit is just fine, it could be a sign that the garbage disposal has a failing motor that needs to be replaced or repaired.
Garbage disposal problems can be frustrating to deal with, especially when they persist. Fortunately, Western Rooter and Plumbing has the garbage disposal solutions Pasadena property managers need.
Our Professional Garbage Disposal Solutions
When your tenant’s garbage disposal is on the fritz, Western Rooter and Plumbing is there for you. Whether the machine shuts off on its own or there’s a persistent, foul odor coming from the sink, we have the solutions. Here’s what our team of service technicians can do for property managers in Pasadena whose tenants’ garbage disposals are broken, clogged, or in need of repair:
- Hydro Jetting: When a tenant’s garbage disposal has bad, persistent odors, it could be a sign of a clog further down in the sewer line. Western Rooter and Plumbing offers a professional hydro jetting service to help clear clogged drains and sewer lines. Hydro jetting is an incredible service that removes massive clogs and even clogs that are further down in pipeline using 4,000 PSI of water, or 18 gallons a minute. Additionally, hydro jetting is extremely accurate so you don’t need to worry about your tenant calling back about persisting clogs.
- Pipe replacement: If there are water leaks coming from your tenant’s garbage disposal because of issues with the plumbing, our service technicians can repair the leak and replace the pipes. Pipeline replacement is sometimes necessary when the pipe has become too corroded from chemical cleaners or age.
- Seal repair: Leaks from a garbage disposal aren’t always caused by chemical cleaners and corroded pipes. In fact, it’s not uncommon for the seal between the garbage disposal and the sink to become loose or corrode over time. This seal is typically made of plumber’s putty or a flange. This is why it’s important to make sure that you have a professional and experienced plumbing team diagnose the problem with your tenant’s garbage disposal.
- Motor replacement: Sometimes when a garbage disposal frequently resets or shuts off on its own, it could be a sign that the garbage disposal is overheating or the motor is damaged. In this case, our service technicians at Western Rooter and Plumbing can replace your tenant’s garbage disposal motor to restore its proper function. However, if the garbage disposal in your tenant’s unit is about 10 years old or is getting up there, it may be more economical to replace the garbage disposal than to invest in a garbage disposal repair. Even with proper maintenance and a motor replacement, garbage disposals don’t last forever.
- Garbage disposal installation: Speaking of garbage disposal replacements, if your tenant’s garbage disposal is on its last legs or the cost of the repair it needs outweighs the years it has left, Western Rooter and Plumbing has you covered. We provide installation services to ensure your tenant’s new machine is well-equipped and working properly.
Regardless of the type of garbage disposal repair your property needs, Western Rooter and Plumbing has the solution for you. We offer a wide range of services from backflow testing to drain cleaning to garbage disposal replacement so you can guarantee your tenants always have a working garbage disposal.
Contact Us for a Garbage Disposal Repair
With over 35 years of experience providing plumbing and garbage disposal repair services in Pasadena and the surrounding areas, Western Rooter and Plumbing is the plumbing service you can count on. We understand that garbage disposal problems can occur at any time, and your tenants depend on you to maintain their unit. That’s why Western Rooter and Plumbing provides 24-hour emergency services, so you never have to worry about what to do when there’s a garbage disposal problem. For more information about our garbage disposal repair services or to schedule an appointment with us, contact Western Rooter and Plumbing today.