Are you having trouble getting rid of the unpleasant smell that comes from your garbage disposal? If so, don’t worry – it’s not as difficult or time-consuming as you may think. This article will show you three simple steps to clean and deodorize smelly garbage disposal in no time. These easy-to-follow instructions will help you keep your kitchen smelling fresh and clean! So, let’s get started.
A garbage disposal is a device used to efficiently and conveniently dispose of food waste by grinding it into small pieces, which can then be sent down the drain. The system uses a powerful motor to crush waste materials into tiny particles flushed away with water.
Reasons for a Smelly Garbage Disposal
Don’t let your garbage disposal stink up your kitchen – find out why it’s smelly and how to fix it!
- Buildup of Food Debris
- Bacteria Growth:
- Clogged Drains
- Malfunctioning Motor
- Poor Maintenance
By understanding the source of the unpleasant smell and taking steps to clean and deodorize your garbage disposal, you can make sure it’s always working properly.
Step 1: Cleaning the Inside of the Garbage Disposal
Cleaning the inside of your garbage disposal is an integral part of regular maintenance. Keeping it clean and free from debris will help ensure that it lasts longer and operates more efficiently.
A. Gather Necessary Supplies
Keeping your garbage disposal clean and in good working condition is essential for a healthy and hygienic home. To do this, you’ll need to periodically clean the inside of the disposal. This process requires basic materials such as baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, ice cubes, dish soap, a brush or old toothbrush, and a pair of rubber gloves.
Gather all these items before you start to clean your disposal. This will make the process much easier, quicker, and safer. With the right supplies, you’ll be able to keep your garbage disposal sparkling clean and running smoothly for many years to come!
B. Remove Clogs and Debris
Keep your garbage disposal running smoothly and free of clogs by regularly removing debris and blockages with this easy guide!
- Unplug the garbage disposal from its power source and make sure it is completely off before starting.
- Use a hex wrench to unscrew the bottom of the garbage disposal or remove the drain plug if your model has one.
- Once open, use a flashlight to inspect the inside of the unit for clogs or debris, such as bottle caps, peels, and other small objects that can get stuck there.
- Take out large chunks with a pair of pliers or a similar tool and discard them in a trash bin nearby.
- Use an old toothbrush dipped in soapy water to scrub away any remaining buildup on the walls and blades of the garbage disposal unit.
C. Refresh with Baking Soda and White Vinegar
Discover the simple and effective way to freshen your garbage disposal with baking soda and white vinegar!
- Begin by pouring 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain and letting it sit for a few minutes to help loosen any hardened particles.
- After a few minutes, pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar down the drain and cover it with the garbage disposal’s lid. This will create a fizzing reaction that will help break up food residue inside the disposal unit and pipes.
- Leave this solution for about 10-15 minutes to work through any clogs or debris before flushing with cold water for another two to three minutes.
- After removal of the lid and cleaning out your sink, turn on your garbage disposal switch and run cold water while the blades are grinding away at any stubborn particles.
- The baking soda and white vinegar should help to clean out your garbage disposal unit and pipes, but if there is still a buildup of food residue, use a plunger to loosen it up.
- Once you have reached the desired level of cleanliness, pour one cup of ice cubes into the garbage disposal with the cold water running for about two minutes to sharpen the blades and remove any remaining debris from the unit’s walls before turning it off completely.
Finally, sprinkle some coarse salt or citrus peel into your garbage disposal occasionally, as this will help eliminate odors and keep your sink smelling fresh!
Step 2. Cleaning the Exterior of the Garbage Disposal
Keeping your garbage disposal clean and in good condition is essential for its longevity and performance. Pay attention to the exterior of your garbage disposal, as it can become unsightly over time due to dirt, grime, grease, and other residues. With a few simple steps, you can have your disposal looking as good as new in no time.
A. Using Cleaner and Rag to Wipe Outsides
Gather the necessary supplies: a cleaner, rag, and gloves if desired.
- Put on gloves if desired, and then spray the outside of the garbage disposal with cleaner.
- Take the rag and begin wiping down the outside of the garbage disposal in a circular motion to ensure that all dirt and grime are removed.
- Once you have completed wiping the outside of the garbage disposal, take a dry rag and remove any excess cleaner or residue from the surface of the garbage disposal.
- Appropriately dispose of rags and wash your hands if you are wearing gloves.
The outside of the garbage disposal should now be clean and free of dirt and grime.
B. Use Detergent or Degreaser as Needed
Keep your garbage disposal in tip-top shape with a careful cleaning and maintenance routine. Detergents or degreasers can effectively remove food residue, grease buildup, and other debris from the unit’s interior. This will help improve its performance and prevent any unpleasant odors from developing inside your kitchen. With a simple refresh every now and again, you can ensure that your garbage disposal works like new.
If necessary, use a degreaser to help dissolve food particles stuck inside the disposal. Be sure to follow the directions on the label.
- Fill the sink with warm water and add a few drops of dishwashing detergent.
- Turn the power back on to the disposal and allow it to run as you pour the warm, soapy water into the garbage disposal.
- Allow the disposal to run for a few minutes before shutting off the power again.
- Rinse any remaining detergent or degreaser from inside the disposal by running clear water for about 30 seconds.
- Use a stiff brush to scrub the inside and outside of the garbage disposal, paying close attention to areas where food is trapped or stuck.
- Rinse with warm water one more time before turning the power back on and allowing the disposal to run until it is empty.
- After running the disposal, turn off the power and inspect the inside and outside to ensure all food particles have been removed.
Use a flashlight to inspect the inside and outside of the disposal for any debris or clogs that need to be manually removed.
Step 3: Making Your Garbage Disposal Smell Fresh
Having a fresh and inviting garbage disposal smell helps create a pleasant atmosphere in your kitchen. You can easily ensure that your garbage disposal is always smelling its best with a few simple steps. From cleaning tips to odor-fighting strategies, these tips can help keep your garbage disposal smelling fresh no matter how often it’s used.
A. Using Natural Scents to Refresh the Garbage Disposal
Using natural scents to refresh the garbage disposal is an easy and effective way to keep your kitchen smelling clean and fresh. Essential oils, citrus fruits, herbs, and spices are all great options for adding a pleasant scent to your garbage disposal.
The essential oils can be added directly into the sink’s water before running through the disposal unit. Citrus fruits, herbs, and spices can be cut into small pieces and added directly to the disposal.
Essential oils such as lemon, lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, or tea tree add a pleasant scent that freshens your kitchen.
B. Deodorizing with Essential Oils
Getting rid of foul odors from your garbage disposal can be a real challenge. Fortunately, essential oils are an effective and natural way to deodorize your garbage disposal and keep it smelling clean and fresh.
Essential oils are packed with anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal properties that help eliminate unpleasant odors while leaving your garbage disposal smelling wonderful. Not only that, odd odors or in your kitchen.
With suitable essential oils, you can quickly and easily keep your garbage disposal smelling great and free of any nasty odors!! Try using essential oils to de deodorize your garbage disposal today for a refreshing scent that will make your kitchen smell amazing and unique!